Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why More People Should Blog...

I am an avid follower of Facebook, and previously an avid follower of MySpace. It really makes me cringe when someone posts a really personal status update. To me, social networking status updates should be normally short little quips and anecdotes about what is going on in one's life. They should not be crazy and diary-like in format. I understand that people need to vent. I definitely condone writing as a means of venting or dealing with problems. It is certainly better than resorting to drugs, alcohol, or homocide. I do not, however, think that this venting should be done on facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. I'm really embarrassed for people that tell all of their "friends" that they hate their mother-in-law because she did this, that, or the other; or that they are on their period and really want some chocolate; or that they have such a crush on whatever guy and really hope it works out between them even though the guy has never called, written, or looked at this person.

Basically, if you would not walk up to that person that you think you went to high school with, but aren't sure, but accepted their friend request because you had 15 mutual friends; and tell him that your brother got arrested last night for beating the hell out of your boyfriend because your boyfriend kissed another girl, why would you post it on facebook for everyone to see, and of course, talk about (because people do talk about your irrational TMI posts).

Get a blog. You can say as much as you want, and you can be anonymous.

1 comment:

  1. Great opening and great advice!! I hope more people find your blog ... especially some of the TMI-ers running their TMI through my news feed!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete