Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Myspace Blog Archive #8

June 25, 2008 - The Verdict

 First, thank you all for your advice and support. I've taken everything you've said into consideration while deciding which direction to go in.

I did decide to stick it out in Michigan for at least one more year. The fact that I was offered a part time teaching position that would enable me to stay here and finish my Master's at the exact time I was considering moving away, is amazing to me. I tend to think that everything happens for a reason, and if I wasn't supposed to stay here and finish my degree, I wouldn't have been offered this job. Plus, I think it would just be downright foolish to waste all the time and money I've already put into the graduate program here at SVSU. I learned that I would probably only be able to transfer one or two classes from one University to the next, and since I've already taken 11 classes...you do the math. I'm also pretty excited about the classes I'll be teaching this year. I have 100% freedom in designing this Drama class and I think that's pretty cool. I've taught Speech Communications before (during student teaching) and really enjoyed it, so I'm excited about teaching it again. I'm disappointed that my school schedule won't allow me to teach that Creative Writing class this semester (again, I would have total freedom with that one); but I'm hoping to be able to teach it during the winter semester.

I am a bit sad that I'll be in Saginaw for at least one more year - I almost escaped this shithole - but Sonia made a good point when she said that it is my shithole. This is where most of the people I love are, so it can't be too bad. Instead of thinking about all of the negatives of choosing this job (the lack of insurance is a huge one, you're right, Megan); I'm trying to focus on the positives. Some of them are: earning my Master's; being able to be here for my brother's graduation; not being lonely without my friends and family; and not having to pack all my shit up and move it 800+ miles away.

Well, I just wanted to keep everyone posted about what I've decided. Thanks again, everyone!

UPDATE: I worked at that school for three years and loved nearly every minute of it. I am escaping this shithole in 20 days, but I am not moving to North Carolina, which I just thought was "OK", I am moving to the greatest city in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I love your archives!! The "updates" are a clever bonus and made me laugh!! Thanks for posting! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best blog follower EVER!

    ReplyDelete