Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Myspace Blog Archive #5

June 22, 2007 - Job Interview Woes


Well, I finally had my first real teaching job interview yesterday. I don't count the one I had at ___________________ this past March because it was just myself and the principal having a conversation. What she forgot to mention during that conversation is that the students in the class that I'd be teaching do whatever they want because she and the rest of the administration are too afraid to lose students as a result of them actually using discipline on them. Had I taken that job, yes I'd be very miserable, hate kids, and want to shoot myself...but at least I'd be able to pay my bills with much less problem than I do now.
And of course let's not forget the fact that yesterday's interview would have been my second "real" interview had mapquest not given me the wrong directions to the school that I was supposed to interview at in Edwardsburg, Michigan last month (that's a hick-ass town about 3 1/2 hours south of here), but ended up 25 minutes late to after spending 100 dollars on gas, only to be greeted by custodians saying that the interview committee had left about five minutes before I got to the school. Let's also not forget that even after I left two messages to the principal, he didn't even have the courtesy to call me back and say, "I'm sorry that you drove several hours to get here and spent money that you don't really have, but it's not our problem that you relied on mapquest and they screwed you. No, you may not have another interview." No. I couldn't even get a courtesy call.
But, I digress. So yesterday, I actually made it to the interview. I had an interview committee give me a real teaching interview. And according to the principal of the school, I did quite well at my first interview. However...not well enough to have been offered the position. The principal told me that I did a great job and did everything I was supposed to do, and there is nothing I should have done differently. If there had been a second position available, he'd have given it to me. The hard part is actually getting the interview. If there is an opening next year, he would interview me for that. That was nice of him. He didn't have to say those things. I appreciate his positive comments. So, at least I know that I did what I was supposed to do at my very first interview. That's nice. Unfortunately, the person that got the job must have had connections to the school, or more experience, or a more useful minor such as social studies or math...whatever the case may be. At least I have experience interviewing now. And I did a good job at my first interview.
No, I have nothing to be embarrassed about. Except for working at Denny's.

UPDATE: I will always hate job interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment