Saturday, July 23, 2011

Michigan

Instead of doing what I usually do, bitch about Michigan and say how I can't wait to leave here for New York City (which is totally true), I have decided to reflect on some things I'm actually going to miss about Michigan. My inspiration for this is Diet Vernors, which I don't think you can get anywhere else but Michigan. I bought a six pack the other day, and am enjoying one as I write this. Below is a list of things that I expect to miss about my home state (in no particular order).

1. My friends that are still in Michigan. Though there are very few left, I'm obviously going to miss them. I hope they come visit!

2. Some family members. I'm not going to lie. I won't miss all of them. In fact, some of them contributed to my decision to leave. However, there are some that I am really going to miss. They probably know who they are.

3. My (now former) students and co-workers at both teaching jobs. Moving to New York was almost a no-brainer, but my students gave me a good reason to stay here.

4. Nachos from Levi's. Almond Joy Ice Cream from Mooney's. Bagels from Big Apple Bagels. Michigan only foods like Vernors and Kogel hot dogs.

5. My adorable little dog, Emmett. I'm sad that I'm not taking him with me, but it wouldn't be fair to him to leave him home alone for hours and hours every day. My friend has him and takes excellent care of him.



6. Things being cheaper.

Really, that's it, and none of the above people/things would make me dream of changing my mind about leaving. My life is going to start in about 17 days. I think I've waited long enough.

2 comments:

  1. You may be surprised at how much you can find in NYC. Like you can't find Faygo here, but if you drive to a specialty shop in LA, they have every flavor! FYI, they also have Diet Vernors! I would imagine the greatest city in the world would have something similar, but hopefully you can just walk there!!
    The sidebar of quotes is a great addition to your blog!! If you find any new ones, you should definitely rotate them in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad you have to leave Emmitt behind, but your reasons are compassionate :)

    ReplyDelete